Re: [Evolution] help with IMAP

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 22:36, HvR wrote:
i gave up trying to use evolution with IMAP it just wont work right, it
is slow and will not allow me to read email offline. instead i now use
offlineimap http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/offlineimap its a dream come
true, try it you will like it.

Second the motion. It has some quirks, (and so does Evo when reading a
local Maildir spool instead of a remote folder) but offlineimap works
really well.

Syncing your mail corpus down to the local drive makes Evolution really
really usable when you're on airplanes (the built in online/offline
functionality is pretty unsteady at the moment. Discovering 1 hour out
over the Pacific that to your disgust that Evo has screwed up and won't
let you access an IMAP folder "offline" only happens once before you
find an alternate way of doing things).

There's a Debian package for offlineimap (actually, it's native deb);
I've written an ebuild script if anyone using Gentoo needs one.

There are other strategies; but this works for [Remote]IMAP to
[Local]Maildir syncing,

AfC

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866  North America +1 646 270 5376

andrew operationaldynamics com au