Re: [Evolution] help with IMAP

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 18:49, James D. Ivey wrote:
I'm a bit reluctant to respond since I'm definitely not an expert.
But I do access my IMAP mail using evolution and it works great.

I've seen other postings on the web where people have said they are
using IMAP to read mail with Evolution so I assume it is stable and
working. I have problems on my system so I'm hoping it is just a
configuration problem.

First, what version are you running?  I'm running 1.2.2 on one machine
and 1.0.8 on another.

I am running the latest version that red-carpet installed for me:
version 1.2.2 (the same as yours).  I just installed RedHat 8.0
last week and that's when I started using Evolution.  (Previously,
I used "vm" in xemacs.)  But I've never used IMAP to fetch mail.

Second, you didn't say whether you told evo that the server was an
IMAP server.  I assume that, under mail settings, you set the server
type to "IMAP."

To be precise, here's what I did:

Under Tools -> Settings, I click on my one mail account and click
on Edit.  Then under the "Receiving Mail" tab, I select "IMAP"
from the "Server Type" menu, and fill in the Host (po.sandcraft.com)
and my Username (veenstra).  SSL is not used and the Authentication
type is "Password".  After making these changes, I exit Evolution,
run "killev" and restart Evolution.  It asks for my password when
it tries to fetch my mail and I give it my password.

Then, at the bottom of the main Evolution window, in the status bar,
it displays:

Scanning folders in "IMAP server po.sandcraft.com" (...)

There is also a popup titled "Send & Receive Mail" that remains
around forever.  It contains two progress bars, one for receiving
mail and one for sending mail.

At this point, evolution is hung.  I can click on the "Cancel All"
button on the popup ("Send and Receive Mail") but it doesn't go away.
I have to kill evolution from a Unix shell.

If I then try to restart Evolution without first running "killev" it
will immediately hang again (while displaying the intial popup "Ximian
Evolution"). I have to run "killev" first and then "evolution" again in
order to bring it up to the point where I can reset the settings to tell
it not to use IMAP.

Once, even after "killev", the "oafd" daemon continued to run (using
100% of the cpu) and prevented me from restarting "evolution" (Evolution
would hang every time I tried to restart it).

I wish there was a way to see what it is waiting for when it is hung.
I wonder if there is any way to turn on extra debugging messages.

Jack V.

I honestly don't remember doing much else to get it to work.  Don't
look in your Inbox for your IMAP messages; they won't be there.
There's a top-level folder (same level as "Local Folders") that has
the name of your IMAP account.  Under that should be all your IMAP
folders as subfolders.  In the mail settings are a few switches
specific to IMAP folders -- show only subscribed folders, check for
mail in all folders, apply filters to INBOX on this server, etc.
Maybe you need to tell evo to check mail in all folders.

I hope this isn't too basic, but like I said, that's about all I did
and it worked.  I wish I could remember if I did anything else.  If I
can help by checking this or that setting, let me know.

Incidentally, this is on evo1.2.2.  I did it on evo1.0.8 as well.

Regards,

Jim