Re: [Evolution] "Scanning folders" and folder behavior

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 20:41, Tom Jennings wrote:
I found I have a nifty little problem here; I have "check for new mail"
set to 1 minute, and it takes umm a minute or more to check for mail...
Evo does not behave well. It gets sluggish, read-next-message (read or
unread) takes > 5 seconds. It's awful.

When the IMAP backend gets rewritten it will hopefully manage to
distinguish between background actions and user-driven actions.

It's very suboptimal that we make the user wait for the new message text
while we're doing other stuff that should be purely _background_
processing -- checking for mail in new folders and downloading the
multi-megabyte .tar.gz attachment just to double-check it _really_ is an
application/octet-stream being two prime examples which often have me
fire up pine to continue reading email, and come back to Evo when it's
finished doing whatever it's doing.

Hint: Run Evo with CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 in a terminal. It's no faster
but at least you can see what it's doing while it's ignoring you and
making your blinkenlights flash wildly, and it's hence slightly less
frustrating :)

--
dwmw2