Re: [Evolution] evolution taking 5+ minutes to shut down

Now, there's a couple of things that I can think of, given the above,
that might lend itself to this lock-up.  I normally don't "auto-expunge
trash on exit" with my $HOME/Maildir, which means, that I may have more
than several hundred entries in that vfolder at any given point in
time.  It would seem that this might be problematic.  What do you think?

Naah shouldn't be.  vFolders are just in-memory dynamic queries, nothing
gets saved to disk.  The main things that get saved to disk are the
summary files - but these should be relatively small (compared to the
size of the mailbox).  Although if you have a lot of folders, it could
write a lot of these out.

Hmm, seems i may have spoken a little too soon - however, a few hundred
deleted messages should still be no issue.  Unless perhaps you have 10's
of thousands of messages elsewhere in the system.

I did some testing with large folders, copying lots of messages and the
like, and i hit some weird shutdown stuff - lots of cpu activity, and
then a memory blowout just before it quit.  The large folder in question
has >35000 messages.  Machine is Athlon 2400+/512mb, so it didn't hit
swap, but it gobbled up a few extra 10's of MB pretty quickly.

The cpu activity seems to be due to vfolder's being closed down and some
inefficient array manipulations therein.  Code that basically does (when
the much more complex logic around it works itself out):

for (i=0;i<35000;i++)
  g_ptr_array_remove(array, 0);
(i.e. worst case, O(N^2) stuff)

I didn't manage to catch the memory blowout cause (machine is too
fast?), and its got late again (>3am), so i might look at it tommorow.

Not really happy with a lot of the vFolder stuff, but its kinda hard to
fix properly :(