Re: [Evolution] evolution taking 5+ minutes to shut down

Try running `dmesg` at a root prompt, you should get something like:

VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233a (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci00:11.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

if you don't, or if it has some sort of warning/error message, then you
likely don't have support for UDMA in the kernel.

anyways... still a very real possibility that the problem is still
related to a growing index file (as notzed suggested), but I can't help
but think that no matter how much I/O evolution is doing, it shouldn't
lock your machine like you describe unless maybe your kernel doesn't
support UDMA or something (my box did the same thing until I fixed it).

Jeff