Re: [Evolution] evolution taking 5+ minutes to shut down

I also run XFS on my home desktop and until I recently rebuilt my kernel
with UDMA support, any amount of disk I/O would bring my machine to its
knees.

I suggest you make sure that your kernel has UDMA support built in.

a quick and dirty check might be to do (as root):

/sbin/hdparm -c -d /dev/hda1

If you get something like the following output:

/dev/hda1:
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

then this is what your problem is. After I rebuilt my kernel with UDMA
support, I get:

/dev/hda1:
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)