Re: [Evolution] Delete messages on server when deleted locally

POP3 is not designed for that, and every mailer I used with similar
functions did not delete those messages (Eudora, Netscape).

I'm surprised when I hear that POP3 is not "designed" for something. This
really has nothing to do with POP3. POP3 has two methods built-in: leave on
server and delete from server.

Sorry, that was my definition of being "designed" for some purpose.

POP3 does _not_ have those methods "built in". POP3 has RETR and TOP to
fetch a mail and DELE to delete any given mail.

All implementations and especially logic beyond this commands entirely
is up to the developers. And even those basic commands are broken in
some POP3 servers, judging from the complaints in here... :-/

Anything other than this is trivial
programming on the part of the application developer as demonstrated in a
number of other mail clients.

Granted, yes -- you can do better even with this very small set of
commands. But it always will be just some clever workaround.

IMAP is the protocol of choice... ;-)

IMAP is the protocol that you chose. Most ISPs don't offer IMAP and I
suspect they aren't going to any time in the future. IMAP has a significant
drawback in that it can require significant server resources. Most ISPs
prefer users to keep their mailboxes as small as possible with many
limiting them to 10MB.

That's why I have my own IMAP server running...

I for one prefer POP over IMAP all the time. They only reason I like the
concept that Eudora implements is because I only have a couple of systems
and they don't need to be synchronized. I like to be able to check my mail
from a couple of places without making sure every box has the same info. I
have one "primary" system that contains everything I need and I have no
need to replicate.

Yep. Again, IMHO POP3 was only designed to fetch mail, not to manage
your mail on the server and from different places.

At least that is how I interpret chapter 1 of RFC 1939... ;-)

...guenther