Re: [Evolution] Delete messages on server when deleted locally

At 04:13 AM 6/2/2003 +0200, guenther wrote:
> > > I know this was probaly discussed a million times already but I can not
> > > find the answer anywhere.
> > >
> > > How can I delete the messages I left on the mail server when I delete
> > > them locally?
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't get what you are asking. Maybe me, though, has been a
> > hard long day.
> >
> > What account, IMAP? What messages are on server, but deleted locally?
>
> Sorry, I try it again.
>
> In M$ Outlook you can leave messages on the mail server until you
> deleted them from your local deleted items folder. This option is very
> valuable fot me and a MUST for a mail program to be usable to me.
>
> The accounts I need to set up like this are both pop.

Have you tried
 Tools / Settings / Mail Accounts / <account> Edit / Receiving Options
 [x] Leave messages on server

At least that will not delete the messages when received.

I doubt, but am not sure, if Evolution deletes the mails, though, as I
do not use POP3 except for testing purposes. Anyone else knowing for
sure and feeling the strong urge to step in?

POP3 is not designed for that, and every mailer I used with similar
functions did not delete those messages (Eudora, Netscape).

I'm surprised when I hear that POP3 is not "designed" for something. This really has nothing to do with POP3. POP3 has two methods built-in: leave on server and delete from server. Anything other than this is trivial programming on the part of the application developer as demonstrated in a number of other mail clients.

This exact concept is implemented in Eudora. You can chose the following:

Leave on server
  -- delete from server after x days
  -- delete from server when emptying trash
-- manually delete individual messages from server (little button in each message)
Delete from server

Those are the five options that Eudora allows.

IMAP is the protocol of choice... ;-)

IMAP is the protocol that you chose. Most ISPs don't offer IMAP and I suspect they aren't going to any time in the future. IMAP has a significant drawback in that it can require significant server resources. Most ISPs prefer users to keep their mailboxes as small as possible with many limiting them to 10MB.

I for one prefer POP over IMAP all the time. They only reason I like the concept that Eudora implements is because I only have a couple of systems and they don't need to be synchronized. I like to be able to check my mail from a couple of places without making sure every box has the same info. I have one "primary" system that contains everything I need and I have no need to replicate.

Cheers.