Re: [Evolution] How Can I backup/restore in Evolution?

I would like to backup/copy some files for the mail account info and
all the mailbox messages in Evolution.  Then restore/copy these data
files into another Mandrake machine.  This way, it saves me some time
in setting up Evolution in the Mandrake machine.  I don't want to
backup the whole Evolution sub-folder under the home folder.  How can
I accomplish that?

The easiest way is the entire directory. To make the archive smaller,
you can omit all ~/evolution/local/mbox.* (note the dot! do not delete
the mbox file itself) files, as they get recreated on startup and are
only for indexing.

That data really isn't that much.

You will at least need ~/evolution/config.xmldb for the accounts. Not
too sure, if you would need more, as I never tried that.

Passwords AFAIK are in ~/evolution/private/config.xmldb. You likely want
the ~/evolution/signature/* and a couple of views, too. I recommend the
entire ~/evolution directory (minus the mentioned indexing files).

You can tar/gzip the ~/home/usernamegoeshere/evolution directory and
then "restore" it to another machine - but you might have some issues
with permissions.

I got around that before by copying the entire evolution directory to a
FAT32 partition, then tar/gzip'ing it, THEN sticking it on another
machine.

I really prefer saving the file permissions, as sensitive data is stored
in some in them. So I would make a tarball without the extra step of
moving to FAT32 (if available) and thus loosing file permissions.

After extracting the tarball, you have to assign those files to the new
USER and his GROUP:

# cd /home/USER/
# chownd -R USER.GROUP evolution

...guenther