[Evolution] Moving/Copying/Drag&Drop from Local folder to LDAP folder fails

I am ruunung openLDAP v2.0.27 on Mandrake 9.1 with Evolution 1.2.4.

I have set up a local ldap server and I am authenticating with full
write priveledges on the ldap server (entry in slapd.conf: access to *
by dn="cn=Manager,dc=mycompany,dc=com" write). I have added the
evolution schema to the config file as well.

In the ldap folder, I can create new contacts, as well as edit and
delete them; I can also search on the entries in the ldap folder.
However, when I try to "Move to folder" or "Copy to folder" an entry
from my local Contacts folder to the ldap folder, I get "Error adding
card: Other error" (with drag&drop, no error is generated by Evolution,
but the procedure fails silently).

In my /var/log/syslog, I get:

Jul 24 17:56:37 headoffice slapd[4903]: conn=13 op=23 ADD dn="CN=NAME OF
CONTACT,DC=MYCOMPANY,DC=COM"
Jul 24 17:56:37 headoffice slapd[4903]: conn=13 op=23 RESULT tag=105
err=21 text=mail: value #0 invalid per syntax

Any suggestions?

--
John P. New
London, Ontario, Canada