Re: [Evolution] ~/.signature

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 15:55, guenther wrote:
I honestly do *not* consider this a problem.

There was no way within Evolution 1.2.x (that is, using the GUI) to let
signatures point to other files -- as it is in 1.4.x versions. Thus, the
user decided willingly to trick out Evo and use undocumented features.

Any user, who did so, should still know that he tricked on Evo even
after upgrade.

Hope I'm not butting in but being OP I'm wondering if I'm the one you're
referring to as 'tricking' Evo?  If so, (IMO) a user doing something
with a _user_ file that no one app owns isn't what I'd consider a trick.
And editing a user file such as ~/.sig doesn't constitute an
undocumented feature.  ~/.sig is a _user_ file - not an Evo file.

Well, to clear the confusion:

Tricking Evolution refers to every user, who bypasses the given GUI and
edits the configuration files by hand. Evolution offers a way to
customize its behavior using a GUI. (That applies to every GUI app.)
[CUT]
Actually, I am not quite sure, what went wrong on your system. Evo never
touches your ~/.signature file, unless you edited the conf files. Did
you?

I NEVER edited any evolution configuration files by hand and still that
gconf-entry points to ~/.signature.  Somehow that can happen in an
upgrade between 1.2.x and 1.3.x/1.4.x (perhaps only 1.3.x?)

I'm not complaining, I like that fact that evo is using ~/.signature for
me :)

/Erik

--
erik bagfors nu
fingerprint: 6666 A85B 95D3 D26B 296B 6C60 4F32 2C0B 693D 6E32