Re: [Evolution] ~/.signature

I honestly do *not* consider this a problem.

There was no way within Evolution 1.2.x (that is, using the GUI) to let
signatures point to other files -- as it is in 1.4.x versions. Thus, the
user decided willingly to trick out Evo and use undocumented features.

Any user, who did so, should still know that he tricked on Evo even
after upgrade.

Hope I'm not butting in but being OP I'm wondering if I'm the one you're
referring to as 'tricking' Evo?  If so, (IMO) a user doing something
with a _user_ file that no one app owns isn't what I'd consider a trick.
And editing a user file such as ~/.sig doesn't constitute an
undocumented feature.  ~/.sig is a _user_ file - not an Evo file.

Well, to clear the confusion:

Tricking Evolution refers to every user, who bypasses the given GUI and
edits the configuration files by hand. Evolution offers a way to
customize its behavior using a GUI. (That applies to every GUI app.)

I do *not* consider manual editing bad. Actually, I love to do it
myself.

I just stated, that every user brave enough to do so, should know it is
going to be risky. Don't blame *any* program, if you bypass the programs
logic to achieve your goal.

If you want the story from the horse's mouth, OP said nothing about
making Evo use links for ~/.sig.  OP said Evo wiped out an existing
~/.sig link and took over the file for itself.  Uncool (IMO).

Yep, uncool.

Actually, I am not quite sure, what went wrong on your system. Evo never
touches your ~/.signature file, unless you edited the conf files. Did
you?

A symlink ~/.signature pointing to any other file, will *not* be
removed, when touching the real 'other' file. This file even does not
know about it...

But if you weren't referring to OP, never mind...

Nope, at least IMHO this was a general discussion, not specialized to
your issue.

...guenther