Re: [Evolution] Inline pictures in Evo 1.4.3

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 03:11, Not Zed wrote:
On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 17:37, Richard Holland wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 07:24, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > ok, well... likely the problem then is that gtk does not support that
> > image type, and hence it cannot display it inline :-)
>
> Yes, the thing is, this is something that's changed from 1.4.0 to
> 1.4.3, as it always used to work!
>
> And NotZed said...
> If its something that has changed with a newer version of evolution,
> it
> sounds more like gnome-vfs or something, since we only (*ever*)
> support
> 'image/jpeg' in our code (among some other image types).
>
> There is absolutely no way 'this worked in 1.4.0' if it was being
> identified as image/pjpeg since the inlinable image types are
> hardcoded
> and hasn't changed for years.
>
> I can categorically state that image/pjpeg works in Evo 1.4.0 and
> earlier, my flatmate is still on 1.4.0 and it works fine on his
> machine, but not on my 1.4.3! (Both machines running Mandrake Linux
> 9.1, gnome desktop 2, almost identical hardware).

What context are we talking here?  The attachment button with the
ability to expand it inline, or just a html page with such an image
inside of it?

I can absolutely state that the former case could never have worked -
the code has a limited set of completely hard-coded image types and
image/pjpeg isn't one of them ...  (its hard-coded not merely to be
simpler, it provides some security control too).

And if its the latter case, then its probably some image library
changes.

What mail clients are sending out this crap anyway, maybe they need a
kick up the arse to fix their code ...

Right, here's what I've done - I've just received and e-mail that evo says has 3 pics, shows their thumbnails, and will only offer a save option. Their mime-type is image/pjpeg

I downloaded evolution 1.4.0 main package RPM, forcibly installed it, leaving the rest of the libraries at their current version. Checked Evo is 1.4.0 by using the help-about window and confirmed 1.4.0.

Opening the same e-mail, the pictures are described as JPEG image attachments, and are displayed as thumbnails, and inlined already opened.

As the libraries are the same, this surely HAS to prove something has changed in the code to handle the inlining of images, and has been broken!

I'm going to stay at 1.4.0 for now, until 1.4.4 or later comes out to fix this again!

Many thanks to those that confirmed this wasn't my imagination!

--
Richard Holland
richard tellytart co uk