Re: [Evolution] upgrade to 1.4: where'd my mail go

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 23:39, Not Zed wrote:

It should be under ~/evolution/local/

Ah, I see them. All of the folders are there, Sent, for example, and
there is are a variety of files there

        folder-metadata.xml
        local-metadata.xml
        mbox
        mbox.ev-summary
        mbox.ibex.index
        mbox.ibex.index.data

mbox is huge, 25M or so as I would expect it to be. So the data is still
there (whew!)

Looking into some of the other folders I can make out much the same as
in Sent, including subfolders.

So I guess the puzzle is, how come the messages prior to the upgrade
have disappeared from the folders list in evo? Is there a master index
or something?

"Warnings" are somewhat peculiar. I get no errors at all during startup.
crashed. Sometimes the component dies, other times the entire app dies.

You have to run it in a terminal to see the warnings?

The upgrade initially broke the link to the icon - it wouldn't launch at
all. Launching from a terminal window would bring it up, but I got
absolutely no error messages or warnings at all, but I then had the
sporadic crashes I mentioned previously. OTOH, I've now been pounding on
it for a couple of hours and things seem to be stable. I'll try to send
traces if I get another crash.

Also, if you have important data, you should always back it up (you
never know when a hdd will die, for example).

So right, and indeed I do have the data elsewhere (it just lives in a
big archive file on the server, courtesy of procmail.) But the mere
thought of having to paw through Gbytes just to find that one message
makes me shiver. I suppose it's time to dust off grepmail :-)

        Sean