Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.2.1 bugs / feature requests

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 15:00, guenther wrote:
cheers();

Labels though seem to be stored in ~/evolution on every account
separately. Where exactly are they stored?

they are stored in ~/evolution/mail/imap/<account>/folders/<folder
path>/summary

And is there any hope to store that information in the mail on IMAP
server, too? I really would appreciate this.

nah, not easily doable. we *could* encode the follow-up flag in a
message header or something, and add it to the message - but that means
we'd have to download the message (actually, it's already downloaded if
you are viewing it anyway), add the header, delete the message on the
server and then re-upload the modified version of the message. This has
some major disadvantages:

1) totally sucks for performance reasons
2) messages will lose their ordering
3) if you are currently viewing the message, it would disappear out from
under your nose.

OK, I understand that. But here I wasn't speaking about follow-ups, but
labels.

labels have the same problem that follow-up flags have (sorry, meant to
say labels but got to thinking follow-up flags for some reason).

Status Information _is_ stored on the IMAP server. Labels _not_. Why?
Where's the different, as for both a new header entry is sufficiant?

the difference is that we don't actually modify the headers of the
messages on the IMAP server when updating the status. IMAP has a
mechanism to do:

UID STORE <uid or range> FLAGS (\Seen \Answered)

or

UID STORE <uid or range> +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)

(there are other ways to change the flags too, but we only use those 2
ways).

the first one sets a flag list, the second simply adds additional
flag(s) to what is already set.

there is no way to do this with labels :-\

- View / Message Display / Source broken

Displaying the Mail with full headers or as Source is really a good
feature. But it is really broken.

Even Source View filters the content and doesn't display the real
source. Headers like Status: and X-Status: are omitted.

no it doesn't. if they aren't being displayed, then they aren't in the
raw message either.

Why? Everyone who wanna use this expects the real source to be
displayed. But this feature really is useless, when I have to view my
mbox file manually to get the full source.

Any chance to get this fixed?

those headers aren't there, there's nothing to fix :)

You are supposing I am a really dumb, aren't you? ;-))

I checked the message source as it is in my IMAP mbox file. There _are_
those lines. And they are _not_ displayed in 'view source'.

if that is the case, then the IMAP server is stripping them when we
fetch it.

I will give you some proof later. Had expewrienced some problems with
headers weeks ago but the thread died some time...

take a look at the results from ethereal, I think you'll find that the
server isn't giving us the Status: headers.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear about it (and I'm sure I will anyway).

There seems to be no way, to set Labels by Filter. Just forgotten when
coding?

not so much forgotten as left waiting in the TODO queue until we had
time to figure out how to do it.

OK, that's the usual problem. ;-) Don't suppose that it will be added
for 1.4?

Depends on what we have time for...

The Threaded Message View is really a great feature. But as there are on
other mailing-lists people, who seems not to know about a reply button,
I get a lot of partially broken Threads.

What about a feature, to tell Evo that a message is a follow-up to
another post? And vice-versa defining a post as not-follow-up?

Is it even possible to code? (Sorry, I don't know, how the follow-up in
threads are calculated. Any info about that is also welcome.)

:\

I'd really prefer not to do things this way, it just makes stuff more
complicated.

Yeah, it really will.

I think what you are looking for is "thread based on subject" which we
used to have in 1.0.x (then everyone complained, so we removed it - and
now everyone is complaining that we *don't* thread by subject anymore -
*sigh*, the pain never stops ;-)

lol -- no, the way 1.2.x handles follow-ups is way better than I know
from 1.0.x. I don't wanna get the old behavior back.

okay...

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast