Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.2.1 bugs / feature requests

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 14:15, guenther wrote:
cheers( folks && coders );

I am using Evolution for a long time now and played around quite a bit.
I learned a lot about Evo interna on this list and most of you probably
have read posts and solutions by me.

Evo is the best GUI eMail Client and I really appreciate your great
work.

In the last days/weeks I stumbled on some points (all using Evo 1.2.1):

- Where are Status and Labels stored?

I use Evo on 3 computers, all pointing to the same IMAP servers. All
mail is managed on IMAP servers. Status 'important' must be stored in
the message itself on the IMAP server, as changes to status appear in
the other Evo clients as well. Thats really good.

Labels though seem to be stored in ~/evolution on every account
separately. Where exactly are they stored?

they are stored in ~/evolution/mail/imap/<account>/folders/<folder
path>/summary

And is there any hope to store that information in the mail on IMAP
server, too? I really would appreciate this.

nah, not easily doable. we *could* encode the follow-up flag in a
message header or something, and add it to the message - but that means
we'd have to download the message (actually, it's already downloaded if
you are viewing it anyway), add the header, delete the message on the
server and then re-upload the modified version of the message. This has
some major disadvantages:

1) totally sucks for performance reasons
2) messages will lose their ordering
3) if you are currently viewing the message, it would disappear out from
under your nose.

- View / Message Display / Source broken

Displaying the Mail with full headers or as Source is really a good
feature. But it is really broken.

Even Source View filters the content and doesn't display the real
source. Headers like Status: and X-Status: are omitted.

no it doesn't. if they aren't being displayed, then they aren't in the
raw message either.

Why? Everyone who wanna use this expects the real source to be
displayed. But this feature really is useless, when I have to view my
mbox file manually to get the full source.

Any chance to get this fixed?

those headers aren't there, there's nothing to fix :)

- Filter: apply Label

There seems to be no way, to set Labels by Filter. Just forgotten when
coding?

not so much forgotten as left waiting in the TODO queue until we had
time to figure out how to do it.

btw: Applying Colors seems not to work for me... Will test more on that.

make sure you are applying a colour before doing a move/copy action...
this may or may not be the problem

The Threaded Message View is really a great feature. But as there are on
other mailing-lists people, who seems not to know about a reply button,
I get a lot of partially broken Threads.

What about a feature, to tell Evo that a message is a follow-up to
another post? And vice-versa defining a post as not-follow-up?

Is it even possible to code? (Sorry, I don't know, how the follow-up in
threads are calculated. Any info about that is also welcome.)

:\

I'd really prefer not to do things this way, it just makes stuff more
complicated.

I think what you are looking for is "thread based on subject" which we
used to have in 1.0.x (then everyone complained, so we removed it - and
now everyone is complaining that we *don't* thread by subject anymore -
*sigh*, the pain never stops ;-)

anyways, you can manually re-enable this hidden feature by editing
~/evolution/config.xmldb and setting the thread_subject value to "1"
instead of "0".

hopefully that will be more to your liking.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.