Re: [Evolution] SSL Unknown CA or Bad Record MAC

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 18:52, ximian-evolution squalor org wrote:
On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 06:35:12PM -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

maybe that error isn't sent in a packet? I'm not exactly sure what the
error means, but I would have suspected an error in the certificate or
in the validation of the certificate, not an error packet from the
server.

The "Bad Record MAC" error - quoting  openssl.org - "This alert is
returned if a record is received with an incorrect MAC. This message is
always fatal."

I'll look a little closer to try and see if the alert message states 'which'
record had the bad MAC.

How can you be so sure that it's not a bug in Evolution (or did I just take
the bait)?

because evolution doesn't implement SSL and it sure as hell isn't
capable of producing a "Bad Record MAC" error string? :-)

Ah huh! Good point. >;-> But there have been bugs where Evolution wasn't calling
the correct function of an SSL API or passing incorrect information.

that would be news to me...

this is why I say maybe it's a bug in mozilla's nss ssl library.

So Evolution uses nss ssl and not openssl? Does anyone know another app that
the same SSL library that Evolution uses whatever it is?

yep, we don't use openssl. we use mozilla's nss instead.

you could maybe try mozilla mail? I dunno.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.