Re: [Evolution] Remove Evolution

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 04:34, David Thom wrote:
On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 00:46, Richard Poworski wrote:
I have Evolution 1.2 on my RedHat 7.3 system.  It is
giving me nothing but grief.  I have decided that
instead of having to tweak and fiddle trying to get it
to do the simple things I expect a email client,
scheduling tool to do everytime I use it, I find other
tools to do the same.

I would like to reclaim all the space that Evolution
and Red Carpet are occupying.  Is there FAQ somewhere
that might outline how to remove these products?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

rpm -qa |grep ximian

then use rpm to remove those packages

And if Evolution requires updated libraries, that in turn are used by
other apps on your system, that operation will fail.  Using a larger
hammer will break applications (balsa, abiword, gnucash, gnumeric, and
others).

If you want to remove Evolution and Red Carpet, it should suffice to:

rpm -e evolution evolution-pilot red-carpet

Its equivalent in Red Carpet (less easy to describe in email) works just
as well.  Feel free to remove any other Ximian packages that aren't
depencencies of other packages on your system.  If you insist on
removing those as well, you may want to downgrade to the Red Hat
versions of those packages.  This requires rpm -Uvh --oldpackage, and
there's not normally a way to downgrade software in Red Carpet.

The closest thing to a FAQ on the subject is the rpm man page.

-Mark Gordon