Re: [Evolution] Evo memory use

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:30, Not Zed wrote:
evolution stores a subset of the headers of  every message of every
opened folder in memory.

if you have a shitload of messages in many folders that you've visited
in the session, AND/OR are the source of vfolders (i.e. they are always
open), then you will generally use a shitload of memory.  actully even
new message filtering will open a folder, which even after it is closed
will leave certain strings in memory (actually i'm not sure if the
folder is flushed aftewards anyway).

also note that mark all as read thing may not be a leak, if you have
vfolders which are affected by such a change.  although i wouldn't put
it past being a leak either.  what mail store are you using?  i think
from memory maildir has an unbounded memory use problem if flags are
changed, and rechanged, etc.

I'm using POP3 with local message store.  I'm not using any vfolders
other than the default "Unread mail".  However, I do indeed have a
"shitload" of mails in several folders ;).  Maybe my filters cause the
folders to be visited and that is the cause?

indexing should have a bounded memory use, and it should only use a lot
of memory if new messages are added, that memory gets freed afterwards,
and the searches are a pretty low memory footprint.

fwiw mines using around 80MB, with probably 60K odd messages in a dozen
folders.

i'd like to do some sort of archiving system at some stage, to support
slow-access low-footprint folders, but currently there are no concrete
plans for it.

That would be excellent.

vfolders are also relatively greedy.

Maybe I should get rid of the "Unread mail" vfolder?  Would that be
recommended?

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)