[Evolution] Evo memory use

I've been experiencing some problems lately with running low on memory.
This sort of surprised me as I've got 512MB.  Occasionally an Evo
component dies with an out-of-memory message.

Running gnome-system-monitor shows

evolution                    9.9MB
evolution-addressbook        7.5MB
evolution-alarm-notify       5.3MB
evolution-calendar           6.1MB
evolution-executive-summary  5.3MB
evolution-mail              53.2MB

This is around 87MB of memory.  Ugh.  Some of this is shared memory, so
perhaps the actual usage is a bit lower, but it's still fairly
monstrous.  Clearly the mail component is the big hog here (the others
actually don't seem unreasonable), so I'm suspecting my large archives
from mailing lists are contributing to the large memory footprint (maybe
indexes are kept in memory?).

Assuming this is true, is there a way to keep my mail archives available
without having them consume huge amounts of memory?  I have mail-list
messages in at least one folder dating back to July of 2002 that I'd
like to keep and occasionally search, but I don't need them all the
time.

RedHat 8.0
Evolution 1.2.2
Athlon 1.2GHz, 512MB RAM, 1GB swap