[Evolution] Ximainized Libraries

When I first installed Evolution, I installed 1.0.8 using the install
script.  It wreaked havoc on my system, taking over everything and
ximianizing it.  This was bad because I was trying to simplify my
system, running neither Gnome nor KDE, and using Window Maker as my
window manager.  The script even changed my desktop manager from kdm to
gdm.  It broke jpilot and the pilot-link version that worked with it.  I
only wanted a decent GUI email client.

Mark Gordon of Ximian help out telling me which ximian libraries to
delete and what to reinstall to get the rest of my system back while
still being able to use Evolution as my mail client.

After deleting those libraries Gnome and Red-Carpet still worked long
enough to allow me to upgrade to Evolution 1.2.1.  I used red-carpet to
do that and it left the rest of my system intact.

However, after doing that, I could no longer load Gnome, even when I
wanted to.  Gnome loaded without the panel, leaving me pretty helpless
about actually work in it.  That wasn't too big a problem since I didn't
care that much about using it (sticking with Window Maker).

Now though, I can't load Red-Carpet either.  It loads, but doesn't
appear (i.e. I get past the root password box and red-carpet creates an
appicon, but no visible program).  I am going to take a stab and guess
that the invisible red-carpet and the invisible gnome panel are related
to the same missing libraries or misconfiguration.  Does anyone have any
ideas or can offer any help?

PS. gnorpm reports that red-carpet itself is properly installed.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur alexion com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC