[Evolution] evolution with courier IMAP

I've just finished setting up courier IMAP to replace my aging uw-imap
setup and everything is working fine. I'm just left with one problem.
Courier creates all folders as sub-folders of INBOX. I understand this
limitation and deal with it. However, INBOX and INBOX.Inbox seem to be
copies of each other. This leads to having a folder tree which shows
INBOX as having new messages at the same time that INBOX.Inbox has new
messages. I'm also occasionally left with INBOX having a 1 non-existent
new message. From what I understand, it should be possible to set up
evolution to use the INBOX namespace so that INBOX would be at the root
level. That is, Evolution would show only the sub-folders of INBOX
without showing INBOX itself. Unfortunately, everything that I have
tried as a namespace has no effect. Any suggestions from anyone? TIA.

-Alex