Re: [Evolution] Character encoding specified in Content-Type field of outgoing messages

On man, 2003-04-07 at 20:28, guenther wrote:
Dan said:
hint. "*IF* you can send this message in iso-8859-15, then please do so,
rather than using iso-8859-1". But if the message can't be encoded in

So IF 7bit ASCII is a subset of my preferred charset ISO-8859-15, then
send as that.  (In fact, substitute '7bit ASCII' by the body of my
ready-to-send mail.)

As my mail entirely consists of a subset of 7bit ASCII _and_
ISO-8859-15, why isn't my preference respected?

Not all charsets are supersets of us-ascii. By setting the charset to
something other than us-ascii (even if there is no need), you may render
the receiver unable to read your mail.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that it would be in violation of the MIME specs,
if the message contains only 7bit chars, it must be sent with
charset=us-ascii (but its been a while since I read the MIME rfc's).

./borup