[Evolution] HELP! Evo local mailbox config

Really need some help (sorry about the shout)!

I cannot get Evo 1.08 on a Debian stable system to pick up my local
mail.

I've tried everything without success. (Test message in
~/Mail/mbox/msg.4cI)

Under Tools/Mail Settings/Receiving Mail:
        Server Type: Local delivery

Evo Accounts page shows:
Enabled Account         Type
Yes     LocalMail       mbox

Select send/receive:
Evo error:
        Error while 'Fetching Mail':
        Could not open mail file /home/mpierce/Mail/mbox: Is a directory

OK - that's not working, then try:

        Server Type: Standard Unix mbox spools

Evo Accounts page shows:
Enabled Account         Type
Yes     LocalMail       spool

Select send/receive:
Evo error:
        Error while 'Opening store spool:/home/mpierce/Mail/mbox':
        Spool'/home/mpierce/Mail/mbox' does not exist or is not a regular file

OK - that's not working, then try:
        Server Type: Maildir-format mail directories

Evo Accounts page shows:
Enabled Account         Type
Yes     LocalMail       maildir

Select send/receive
Evo error:
        Message so fast that I cannot read it

OK, I'm crying 'Uncle, I give'. What do I have to do to make this thing
work?

It works fine in pop mode collecting from the mail boxes but I have a
local home lan with 3 computers on it and need local mail delivery.

Marvin