Re: [Evolution] Small "quirklets" in Evolution 1.0.8

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 12:00, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 13:54, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 11:44, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 11:16, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 09:08, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 16:47, Dan O'Reilly wrote:

2. When reading messages, I find that I can't select and cut/copy text.
REALLY limiting, when you're trying to cut-and-paste from an email
message into something else.

are you sure you can't? Maybe that's because you're using the windows
way of doing it. If you use the X way (select with the mouse to copy and
press the middle mouse button to paste) it should work. It does for me.

Likely that's the problem.  Forgot about implict cut/paste.  THe only
issue I had with it is really, I guess, that there are times (for
example, when composing the messages) that you DO have a drop-down menu
for that.  Consistency (or lack thereof) I guess is what I'm getting at.

I can understand that... so my proposition is to remove all
cut/copy/paste menus because we simply CANNOT implement cut/copy/paste
in menus for everything that people want it for. It's just an impossible
task with the way X/Bonobo/etc work.

That would be a HUGE mistake.  An email application is something that is
going to be used by your converts from Windows, and they represent the
biggest single group that will impact the success of Linux.  Take away
something that's a) very useful and b) very familiar to them, and you
cut your own throat.  They will go to where they can get something
familiar.

You use the term "impossible", and I must disagree with that.  It's very
possible, it just has to be done.

No, when I said impossible, I meant impossible. You obviously have never
worked with Unix, X, and Bonobo before, have you? ;-)

Yes, I have.  For many years, as a matter of fact, having been in this
business for over 25 years as an engineer.  I've worked with several
flavors of UNIX and with X as a programmer/engineer, doing some quite
complex things.

impossible == programmatically impossible

Why?

--
------

| http://www.process.com        |