Re: [Evolution] Small "quirklets" in Evolution 1.0.8

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Dan O'Reilly wrote:
impossible == programmatically impossible

Why?

Because cut-and-paste depends on two things.

   1)  A window-manager implementation of cutting and
       pasting objects from one canvas to another, and
       the API to access that implementation.

   2)  Adherence of all applications to said API.

One isn't so bad - X provides a cut-and-paste implementation to some
degree for text.  It's not what most people would consider "rich" though,
i.e. the Windows clipboard, where I can cut just about anything on my
screen to the clipboard, and have it managed through OLE, until it gets
handed off to another application.

Number two is the problem.  Gnome, KDE, and umpteen other WM's all have
slightly different ways of implementing their cut-and-paste.  It's
programatically impossible, in the sense that you can't code to the
cut-and-paste API of every windowmanager out there for every application.

Maybe someone should write libcutandpaste.so, so that we can just link our
apps against it, and have C&P magically work.  Until that time, though,
application developers are forced to pick one or two API's to program
against.