Re: [Evolution] Evolution and OpenLDAP: POSSIBLE RESOLUTION?

Hi,

Austin Gonyou <austin coremetrics com> writes:

Recently a co-worker installed evo 1.1.1.99 beta. I've been running it
for a long time now. He was able to browse our Exchange 5.5 with no
hassles, I was still unable, even after deleting most of the xml files.

I took a copy of his addressbook-sources.xml and compared it against
mine.

His works, mine doesn't. The only major difference is the authentication
type.

Here is an example:

-----new xml-----
  <contactserver>
    <name>austin</name>
    <description/>
    <port>389</port>
    <host>mail.somehost.com</host>
    <rootdn/>
      ^^^^^^^^^^
rootdn ist a bit misleading, as rootdn actually is the Distinguished
Name of the administrator, what is meant here is defined as 'base'

    <scope>sub</scope>
    <authmethod>none</authmethod>
                 ^^^^^^^^
No authentication takes place, thus write access should not be possible

  </contactserver>
-----new xml-----

-----old xml-----
<contactserver>
    <name>austin</name>
    <description/>
    <port>389</port>
    <host>mail.somehost.com</host>
    <rootdn/>
    <scope>one</scope>
    <authmethod>ldap/simple-binddn</authmethod>
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here is a 'simple bind' and authentication required

    <ssl>never</ssl>
    <binddn>austin</binddn>
  </contactserver>
-----old xml-----

The latter entry fails and asks for authentication over and over, while
the former just works, after I've authenticated to the exchange server.

That depends on the authentication method, your ldap server is
probabely requiring strong authentication and evolution is not able to
handle strong authentication yet.

I wanted to open a bug on this, but I don't want this "hole" to get
closed per se so I can't use LDAP at all, rather I would like the latter
to be fixed so it does work.

That is not a bug in evolution but a matter of your ldap server's
access configuration.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung