Re: [Evolution] Configuring Gnome-pilot on RH 7.3 for Palm m500

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 16:03, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
RH7.3 palm support does not work with USB, unless you have an updated
pilot-link and gnome-pilot packages (as well as an evolution linked to
those library versions).

I use Red Carpet to keep my system up-to-date (although I haven't
upgraded to RH 8.0 yet) and I have the following (pilot)packages
installed:
gnome-pilot-0.1.69-1.ximian.1
pilot-link-0.11.5-4.ximian.1
xpilot-4.4.3-5
gnome-pilot-conduits-0.10-1.ximian.1
evolution-pilot-1.2.0-1.ximian.1
pilot-link-devel-0.11.5-4.ximian.1
gnome-pilot-applet-0.1.69-1.ximian.1
gnome-pilot-devel-0.1.69-1.ximian.1

If you do have support for this you need to open up the pilot capplet,
and produce a device on /dev/ttyUSB1 with USB type (NB /dev/ttyUSB0 is
also your palm, but not the hotsync channel).  You also need to amke
sure your kernel has the appropriate modules and hotplug config to talk
with the palm, and that the device permissions are appropriate.

Do you mean creating a device from the Pilot link section in the Gnome
Control Panel?
When I click the Pilot Link I first get the wizard and when I close that
I have 4 tabs:
Pilots / Devices / conduits / Advanced
in devices I can press the add button which opens a window (Device
Settings) with the following fields:
Name: 'Set to Cradle'           should be: usb?
Port: 'set to /dev/pilot'       should be /dev/ttyUSB1?
Speed 'set to 57600'            should be 115200?
Timeout 'set to 2'              ??
Type: 'Serial / USB / IrDA / Network'   should be USB

Do I have to start this wizard as root?

I have tried to manually create the symlink with
[root localhost M8ram]# ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot
and
[root localhost M8ram]# ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

But that doesn't seem to help...

Do I need to chgrp or chmod anything? /dev/ttyUSB1 has uucp as grp...

Do I need to restart the gpilotd after changing anything like this?  How
would I do this?

TIA for any suggestions!

p.s. sorry if this gets (partly) double posted, my messages didn't seem
to appear on the list...
--
 #  Mertens Bram "M8ram" <bram-mertens linux be>   Linux User #249103  #
 #  Red Hat Linux 7.3  KDE 3.0.0-10  kernel 2.4.18-3  i686  128MB RAM  #