Re: [Evolution] Comments on Evolution 1.2

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 12:41, Russell Stuart wrote:

- Shift-Ctrl-M is modal in Evolution, in Outlook it isn't.  This
  means that in Outlook I can press Shift-Ctrl-M regardless of
  where I am.  In Evolution it won't work if I am in a mail folder
  (such as the Inbox), or if I am in the composer.  I have found
  that having it modal in Evolution means I don't use it.  It is
  easier to use the GUI because I don't have to ask myself "it this
  going to work here?".

I agree completely, and I believe this has already been submitted to the
bug database.  They need to find a different shortcut for "move
messages", which is what I belive it does now if you're in the mailer.

- When reading mail the ',' and '.' rarely seem to work.  I have not
  been able to find a pattern as to when they do and don't.  Also,
  it would be nice if shortcuts like that appeared in the menu.

I haven't had any problem using them as long as a message is highlighted
in the message list (though I have changed them to use N and P rather
than the unintuitive . and ,), but anyway they ARE listed in the menu,
under Actions->Go To.  Because they are only a few pixels in size, they
are hard to see.

- Read receipts (aka Disposition Notifications).  Obviously you guys
  don't consider them important, this being the second major release
  and they are still not there.  I do - enough to spend a pleasant
  hour or so going through the source finding a way to turn them on
  permanently.  I suspect a lot of others in corporate environments
  like mine place the same importance on them I do.  Its not like its
  hard.

I haven't looked, but I'll guarantee you there have been numerous
requests for this in the bug database.

- When a Yes/No/Cancel confirmation dialogue box is displayed, I am
  used to being able to press 'Y'/'N'/Escape.  There does not seem
  to be any way to press 'Y'/'N', except by using the mouse.  (Maybe
  this is a GTK thing?)  Anyway, I miss being able to use the
  keyboard.

I couldn't agree with you more, but this is a GNOME/GTK-wide issue,
completely unrelated to Evolution.  I look forward to upgrading to GNOME
2.0 soon and sincerely hope that with their major focus on
"accessibility" in the new version, that this has been addressed.

But FWIW, Escape does seem to work on most of those pop-up dialogues in
GNOME 1.4x, if they have a Cancel option, and there is indeed a way to
use them without the mouse, though it's hardly convenient.  Just use the
Tab key to select the button you'd like to press, then hit Enter or the
Space Bar to activate your selection.

I've missed being able to use the keyboard for navigation ever since I
switched to linux.  I seriously miss that more than any other single
feature of Windows... but it's still not enough to make me switch back
:)

Eric

--
I have nothing against the American people...
...but it is time for a regime change