Re: [Evolution] Comments on Evolution 1.2

On Monday 18 November 2002 03:41 pm, Russell Stuart wrote:
Last week I made the move from Outlook to Evolution 1.2. I thought I
would give some feed back on things I am having difficulty adjusting
to.

And then Russell goes on to point out some differences in the details
between Outlook and Evolution.

I thought I'd respond from the opposite perspective.

In 1997, and again in 1998, I tried Outllook as it came with my copy of
MS Office 97.  I really disliked the way it did things, some of which
seemed ok for MSMail, but really seemed unnatural to me for internet
mail.  I didn't like the way that it forced a PIM into my MUA, either.
I was using another PIM that I liked very much, and was annoyed that I
had to install the PIM components of Outlook which I had no intention
of using.  I quickly went back to Pegasus.  When Pegasus seemed to fall
behind for a while, I tried Outlook again, didn't like it any better
and quickly switched to Eudora.

After moving from Windows to Linux, I got to really enjoy using kmail
in KDE.  However, I decided to give Gnome a whirl.  Unhappy with Balsa,
I decided to try Evolution.

For me the similarities of Evolution to Windows are its drawbacks.  Not
necessarily bad, but not for those of us who abandoned Windows to get
away from it, not so that we could exchange it for its open source look
alike.

Interesting how different people can be.
--

Art Alexion