[Evolution] Need help re slowness

Hi,

I'm running Evolution 1.0.8 on Debian sid, over KDE 3.0 (sometimes) and Gnome2 (other times).

Evolution is an amazingly good email and groupware client in almost every respect except one - speed.

For one thing, evolution takes about 10 seconds to start up (on a 1.5GHz Athlon XP).

Also, it takes forever to read in emails, even when reading from local spool file (not POP3). Specifically,
it takes up to 1 second to read in each message and sort it to the folders.

On sending (via SMTP on localhost), it takes up to 10 secs to get a short text-only message out.

On the whole, Evolution is my email prog of choice. But the painful performance has for now forced me onto
Sylpheed (which works super-fast in the same environment). But I find Sylpheed to be a bit flaky - for
example, outbound mails fail to actually send, and no indication is given of this.

Is there anything I can do to make Evolution run faster?

(To be fair, I have to say that I've got about 45 physical folders, each with between 10 and 4000 messages).

All help will be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards
David