Re: [Evolution] Need help re slowness

tor, 2002-11-07 kl. 02:09 skrev David McNab:

Evolution is an amazingly good email and groupware client in almost every respect except one - speed.

Agreed.

For one thing, evolution takes about 10 seconds to start up (on a 1.5GHz Athlon XP).

Think yourself lucky, it takes at least 30 seconds on an RH 7.2 / kernel
2.4.19 (faster than 2.4.18), Gnome 1.4, 128MB 869 MHz Duron Compaq with
a 20 MB IDE disk.

Also, it takes forever to read in emails, even when reading from local spool file (not POP3). Specifically,
it takes up to 1 second to read in each message and sort it to the folders.

Don't know what version of Evo you're running, but with 1.0.8 doing a
'killev' first and then finding all *.ibex files and deleting them
regularly does wonders with reading in new mail from /var/mail MBOX mail
(same machine) with SSL-based pop3.

On sending (via SMTP on localhost), it takes up to 10 secs to get a short text-only message out.

This might well be due to a duff DNS server; check that, at least. Mine
is super fast.

On the whole, Evolution is my email prog of choice. But the painful performance has for now forced me onto
Sylpheed (which works super-fast in the same environment). But I find Sylpheed to be a bit flaky - for
example, outbound mails fail to actually send, and no indication is given of this.

I changed to Evo from Netscape 4.7, which was also super fast - but I'd
never go back again. Apart from anything else, Evo has a lot more
features - including my LDAP-based address list.

Is there anything I can do to make Evolution run faster?

More RAM? Most of my speed problems come through shitty IDE disk
swapping - when will people design payable notebooks with a SCSI disk? I
have a colleague with a newish 1 GB RAM IBM Thinkpad and it's super fast
with Red Hat / Gnome 2.

(To be fair, I have to say that I've got about 45 physical folders, each with between 10 and 4000 messages).

I just counted and I have around 50 folders with anything up to 7,500
stored mails - mailing list archives, for reference and help.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw