Re: [Evolution] LDAP Address Book Fields Greyed Out?

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 12:07, Paul Legato wrote:

Thing is, the form works fine over here when editing a local contact.
The back end is there, it's just being disabled for some reason when
editing an LDAP based contact. My guess is that the LDAP module in
Evolution thinks that it doesn't have permission to edit (for some
reason), and thus it disables those boxes. The popups were probably not
disabled as well due to some oversight.

Maybe someone on evolution-hackers could direct us to the specific area
of code involved?

Evolution doesn't query ACL's or anything to figure out if you have
permissions to write/modify/query/etc, because unfortunately I know of
no way to query a server for acl's...  So we go based on whether or not
you've authenticated.  You have to authenticate in order to
modify/create entries.

A way to tell if the ldap code thinks you have permissions is the state
of the delete button in the contact editor.  If it's greyed out you
didn't authenticate.  If it's enabled, you have permissions, and greyed
out fields in the contact editor are caused by schema problems I alluded
to in my previous mail.

Mark Foster wrote:

Same here (no experience). This looks useful -
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

Without having looked at the source all I can reckon is that the form
fields are mostly disabled on account of the callbacks hadn't been put
in, or in otherwords the form doesn't actually work. There's a good
change the form was simply designed in glade but none of the backend
code for it was built. Can anyone verify this?