Re: [Evolution] Request for additions/corrections in Evolution

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 23:06, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
it does word-wrap, what do you mean?

        It does it how it wants.  The same way Word puts a paragraph where it
wants.  Also, Word has the decency to disable that.  So does Evolution.
But doing word wrap by hand it is at least unpleasant.

        Guys.  Evolution is under the GPL right?  In this case I recomend you a
great piece of code.  It is called 'fold'.  And it comes with the
text-utils pack.  Probably it is already installed on your drive.  Check
the source and probably you can make the word wrap usable.  Than just
add the dialog with the fold options.

please see http://www.jwz.org/doc/html-compose.html

        Very interesting indeed.  Thanks for pointing that out as I would have
never find that particular page.  But what was the purpose of that link
in this discussion?  To tell me that are the rules you implement?  In
this case I see no slider or whatever to choose that 'soft wrap
configurable column' size.

3. A new line in an unwrapped quoted text leads to two newlines instead
of one.  And I have to edit by hand the extra newline.  Anyone knows
why?
huh? I've never seen this afaik.

        Please give me a hint of what to do to prove this?  It happens from
time to time.  And just forwarding a mail to you (no problem with the
privacy as they are in Romanian ;-) might modify the text.  As I read
below in your answer instead of printing the text you do that conversion
that of course (as pointed in the link above) is modifying the original
text.

4. There's only one type of "quotation".  So if I I have two levels of
quotation there's no change as Evolution doesn't know about it.
the development branch is much more smart about citations, maybe it will
solve whatever your problem is?

        My "whatever" problem is:
Level three quotation
Level two quotation
Level one quotation
No quote

        IMHO it makes sense to highlight them with different colors.  That is
if you are able to code that and this isn't getting to complex.  I'd
hate to see Evolution crashing after it loads for 40 seconds... meaning
waiting another 40 seconds for a new launch and so on.  So please,
implement this
ONLY if this doesn't break something else.

        Anyway, you say there's good news and 1.2.x will have those problems
fixed.

This is solved in the development branch afaik

        Good to know.  A lot better than filing some bug report.

again, solved in CVS afaik

        Same comment as above.

again, solved in cvs afaik

        And again... same as above.

        It's really good to know these things are actively solved.

just hit return 3 times? that's what I do. some people may like only 1
return when they hit return. this is just you being lazy :-)

        Me using something like Evolution means lazy.  I can just install
postfix+fetchmail+procmail+mailx+vim and I'll be over in no time with
less disk space consumed and a happy CPU that doesn't sweat every time I
hit reply for a large message (like this one for example).  Instead of
making cron jobs, scripts and launch fetchmail and postfix when I get
online I'd rather just click on Send/Receive.

        Now, this comment made a moral dillema arise.  I have no problem in
being called lazy.  But don't you think you can actually hit all your
users with this affirmation?  Come on, let's think together - postfix
and qmail are quite easy to set up and there are documents about this.
There even is a very good, a bit outdated but else very good Mail-HOWTO
and some related HOWTOs that state in plain English (and the languages
that they were translated) how to install such a system.  There are
lists for newbies and advanced users that can help you with scripts and
configs.  Fetchmail is a 10 minutes read for the config file which is
amazingly human readable (it even has extra words to make it like human
language).  So, as long as you know some English that would be a
breeze.  Procmail is set equaly simple and the only fact that takes more
time with the setup is the amazing complexity of this tool.  Than...
lots and lots of mail clients.  Both graphical and shell/ncurses.  They
are all slim and optimised (well... not counting that thing that comes
with Netscape ;-) For calendar - we have lots of options as well... for
reading news - I had once a cute little tool (if I recall well its name
is ASnews... not sure, it was a long time ago).  That tool (and it
wasn't the only one) read the headlines and even was able to link with
the browser.  For "contacts" again... see Gnome-PIM and other packs.
Hmm... ever the newly released Open Office and Star Office have this
which integrates really well with the office pack.  Only for the task
module I don't know any equivalent as I have no use for that (cron,
anacron and at do their jobs great).  Now, correct me if I'm wrong -
anybody and I really mean anybody with some English knowledge can make
something work as Evolution with only part of that resource
consumption.  But they use Evolution.  Why?  Because of what you said
there... so think again before calling me lazy.  Who knows... maybe
people will start looking for an alternative...

you can always learn the filter expressions and use the "Expresion"
rule.

        Hmm... right now I don't have the time for this.  But in case I will,
would you (your team) be interested into a FilterHackingHOWTO for
Evolution?  Just to document things.

2. In case you don't come up with some type of grouping of the
criterions, why not make some "composite" rules.  I mean, so far if I
have two mailing lists to filter for "uninteresting" mails and for
offensive mails I'm lost.  For all simple rules "if... than" type I can
just choose "stop".  this is an excellent option as it speeds up the
process if you have many rules.  But I can't say
rule1: E1 OR E2 - action goto rule 14
rule14: E3 OR E4 - delete; stop.
this ain't gonna happen.

        Agreed.  It's dirty.  Although it is simple to set up.

3. As an alternate, I see Evolution goes for "all in one pack", but how
can I plug in say procmail for processing incoming mail taken by
Evolution.  I see it keeps the mbox...

I've added a filter rule to pipe a message to an external program. You
can use the return code of the external program to base your filters on.
For example:

[Command][/usr/bin/my-filter][is greater than][5]

        Oh.  Interesting.  I'll note that.  One silly question (and lazy too
;-): Evolution won't mind if procmail modifies its mail folders while
Evolution is active?

4. Am I missing something?  If I put 'To:' in the specific field my rule
would be ignored.  It will work only with 'To', no ':'.  Why?
because the ':' is not part of the header name?

        ;-)  Hahahaha, what happened to the user friendly label... or should I
call it idiot proof?  This is when a guy like me (the idiot in this
story) thinks that ':' is part of the field and not just a sepparator.

how do you propose Evolution monitor your internet connections? This is
not Win32 where you can just make an OS call to find out if you are
online or not. Nothing like that exists on Linux (or Unix period).

        You are not fair here.  And you just try to excuse some lame
programmers who preach Unix superiority.  For a guy that has a net link
to the net this is probably a less important issue.  For a guy like me
on dialup you can just check the ppp+ interface.  If the interface is
gone... what is Evolution trying to send?!?  And how?

I think the global Stop button in the toolbar should do the trick?

        Oh!  Thanks.  I really didn't notice that button.  Silly me!  Please
accept my hones appologies for that stupid mistake.  I looked for it
after reading your message and that was the only button that had no
meaning (it is disabled unless there is some traffinc going on).
Problem solved.

because:

1. it is assumed that you are online

        good.

2. if the send fails, it will popup the composer window and let you
decide what to do with it

        right. but in my sittuation, not in all cases (hmm... 10 minutes I
think was pretty much enough for a timeout message)  but I can't
reproduce this issue. :(

3. if we save to Outbox temporarily, it's theoretically possible that in
the interim, your auto-send&receive thread will wake up and send all the
messages in Outbox before the composer's Send could send that message,
thus you might end up sending the message twice.

        you are right. it makes sense.

4. And most importantly, at the time we had no way of finding out the
UID of a message after appending it to a folder (we are still not
guarenteed to be able to get the UID of the message we just appended to
a folder, seeing as how IMAP doesn't guarentee it unless it supports the
UIDPLUS extension and implements it *fully* - which unfortunately, some
do not) and so after sending the message - how would we know which
message to delete from the Outbox and move it to the Sent folder?

        I wasnt' aware of that.  But the way you put it is makes perfect sense.

        Bottom line - Thank you Jeffrey for sheding some light over this issue
as well.

you can't. well, you could just rm -f the executables and then they
wouldn't load :-)

        Hahaha... wouldn't be nice an "Startup" tab in options that says what
to load and what not to load?  Anyway, I like your hack.  Quick and
dirty but it should do the job.