Re: [Evolution] How to compact empty mailboxes?

Michael -

I'm not an expert on this but here is what I have figured out in
relation to similar issues on my side ...

There seem to be three major files for each mailbox folder that consume
large amounts of space when there are lots of messages:

  mbox - the actual messages
  mbox.ev-summary - parsed data for summary display (subj, to/from,
date, etc..)
  mbox.ibex - content indexing for searching

To clear the most disk space you need to :

1. Make sure you either "Expunge" or "Empty Trash" to _REALLY_ delete
the messages (if you ave hide deleted messages enabled for the folder
they will still be there until expunged or the trash -- which actually
is a vFolder -- is emptied. This will clear out both mbox and
mbox.ev-summary of any expunged messages.

2. Eliminate any data from expunged messages from the ibex file by:
  a. Choosing File->Folder->Properties and deselecting "index contents"
     (this will delete the .ibex file)
  b. Repeat a and _select_ index contents to rebuild a new .ibex file

Perhaps there is a trigger that will automatically recreate an ibex file
(on boot-up or after a certain time or after a message is added) but I
don't know. The above steps do work for me.

Hope this helps.

Jim