[Evolution] How to compact empty mailboxes?

I subscribe to a lot of mailing lists (and now this one :-) ) and have my messages sorted into folders, one for each list. These are physical folders, not vFolders.

Periodically I delete all the mail from most of the mailing list folders, because I can read the mail from the archives, and I want to save space.

But the amount of disk space used by a folder does not always shrink, or sometimes it only shrinks a little.

I deleted almost all of my mail today, and only saved a few megabytes. One folder with no messages in it takes up 22 megabytes in the filesystem, and the whole size of my ~/evolution directory heirarchy is nearly a quarter gigabyte!

My Linux installation is on a small hard drive, so I need to be conservative about my disk space usage. Is there a way I can compact the unused space out of the folders?

I'm using evolution 1.0.2 on a Debian PowerPC installation (sid) on a Mac 8500 with a PowerLogix G4 CPU upgrade.

Thanks!

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford