Re: [Evolution] vfolder feature request

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 10:46, grok wrote:

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 05:49, Not Zed wrote:

You can manually specify the list of folders to use.  So you can already
do this, albeit with a couple of extra clicks, one for each folder you
want to search.

Surely you're not serious. People like me have dozens and HUNDREDS of
subfolders to be searched. Brute force clicking is not an option,
really.

If you have hundreds of folders, it seems you already have an
information managment problem, and i dont think saving a few clicks is
really going to solve any of it.

With other programs, global searches were easily performed of course --
but vfolders are a clear advance on these, and I am happy to use them.
However, IMO, the one-step ability to pin-point the 'root' of an
otherwise 'global' search using vfolders would only solidify Evolution's
reputation as a powerful email database. Otherwise it will be tedium
itself to set up. Please seriously consider implementing this.

You can also setup a vfolder and then vfolder off of
that, i think thats what you're asking for.  Its just a manual process.

?
Seems to me that there's not really an alternative to coded-in recursion
here.

Besides the probable fact that it appears to be the 'elegant' thing to
do (I mean, vfolders are supposed to be a major feature of Evolution,
right? i.e. they are supposed to be a fully-implemented, well-rounded
aspect of Evo), one of the main points of coding is _to automate the
repetitive side of computing_.

What would it really take to add recursion, eh?

1/2 a day or so to write and test the code that does the work.  Probably
a day or 2 to do the code that lets the user operate it.  Definetly a
feature bug request at bugzilla.ximian.com.