Re: [Evolution] Evolution not quite Eudora yet

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 08:35, Not Zed wrote:

In Evolution, I seem only to be able to type in aliases **which are in
the main 'root' 'Contacts' folder** (i.e. the folder found above 'Inbox'
in the folder-tree window) -- meaning that I apparently cannot access
(by typing, anyway) any alias (or whatever they are called in Evolution)
which I have squirrelled-away **in a sub-folder of 'Contacts'**.
Not very useful -- and I was wondering if there was something I wasn't
aware of here?

The feature to be able to auto-complete from multiple contact folders is
available in the development series, already.

That's great, but I'll stick to .debs from debian.org mirrors for now...

I do like the feature that aliases with multiple possible email
addresses have a *context-menu* which can be dropped-down to chose which
particular address to use; but still, the ability to view an alias
expanded into the email address it refers to is, IMO something GOOD,
which should be aimed at as a feature -- regardless of other
considerations.

Well, I would agree here, however the gui gods have decided to just copy
the way outlook works, and not expand full email addresses or group
lists.  I don't like it either, but i can't see it being changed.

Ya. Let Microsoft set the pace... Good decision.

In creating a *'Contact List' (your name for it) alias* (i.e. an alias
which is itself a list of _email_ aliases), one should be able to select
from a menu/dialog/window of aliases, from any subfolder -- besides also
being able to type something in, too; [and should be able to at least
refer to the original list lying underneath the 'dialog' window.
Drag-n-drop was referred-to, but not really possible(?) with overlapping
windows];

Its not really a list of email aliases.  Its a list of email addresses,
which is probably not the best way to do it anyway.

If youse guys can see fit to code in lists of aliases, people like me
will surrender-up our firstborn to you.

Anyway, the way the interface works, you either type the addresses in
manually, or you drag them from a contacts window.  Since the contact
list editor is a fairly small window, performing the drag and drop isn't
that difficult.  Although the default window manager options of bringing
clicked windows to the front basically make it unusable - which is why i
dont use it that way.  You could try submitting a bug report on the
contacts module about this on bugzilla.ximian.com.

I just might do that.

The problem is the 'Contacts' *subfolders'* lack of 'global
availability' of what is inside them.

Again: am I missing something here? A conffile setting?

Ok.  Well as above, this is addressed in the 'next version'.  1.1.x or
1.2 whenever it finally comes out.

When might that be coming out?

BTW: I don't know where this is coming from, but today I am having this
problem where if I hold down the <shift> key and press an <arrow> (down?
right?) past a Normal/Preformat block, the focus suddenly jumps to the
header fields; usually the 'Subject:'.
Extremely annoying!
:/

So, saying 'just like Eudora' doesn't mean much to any of us, for the
most part.

Surprising. I thought many 'power' users preferred Eudora to dreck
Outlook. This has never been a 'numbers game' for me.

-- grok.