Re: [Evolution] Evolution not quite Eudora yet

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 12:58, grok wrote:

In the 'Contacts' module, it seems to me that none of the 'Categories'
off the main Contact list are _globally_ available to 'expand' a typed
alias in an outgoing message header field. This seems awfully limiting,
and presently I have to manually click on the To; Cc: Bcc: buttons and
drop menus just in order to get to these email addresses -- and select
them one-by-one at that. Creating lists is just as 'click-consuming'.

What exactly do you mean?  I dont follow.  You mean when you compose a
message?  What do categories have to do with it?  Do you mean other
contact folders?

You dont have to manually click on anything anyway, you can also type.

Is the answer here just something which I have overlooked, or is it
rather that these are features which have not yet been implemented?

Not sure.

I desperately needed to replace my old Win Eudora with something just
like this new Evolution, and I am pretty happy with it overall (despite
the frequent mail & speller component crashes; but then I am still
running too many unstable packages, so what the hey), and am willing to

Submitting bug reports with useful backtraces is the key to getting
these crashes fixed.

wait for features to be implemented; but I am wondering also whether the
programmers are really aiming for implementing Contact features which
really are as incredibly useful as those long-available in Eudora?

Comments? Solutions?

Well oddly enough, its not called eudora for a reason.  Its likely that
what you want can be done (or will be able to be done at some point),
but there's nothing to say it will ever be done in an identical manner
to eudora (actually it is pretty unlikely it will be, since none of us
have used it).