Re: [Evolution] text-mode shell anyone?

This is a wonderful idea, BUT with some caveats.

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 14:20, Not Zed wrote:
On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 17:39, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> > > Actually, I was wondering if this could be incorporated in the taskbar
> > > item for Evo. It would seem to make the most sense.
> > >
> > > Is that still doable? If so, consider yourself asked. =]
> >
> > Taskbar?  Huh?
> >
> > No idea, can you change taskbar state?  I suppose you can change the
> > icon?  I dont use it, so i have no idea.
>
> Surely having an applet is teh better choice, that way people can see
> their mail status without having evolution running?

I agree.
I also agree.

> Hopefully the applet could also fetch the mail and install it in the
> local mailsystem that evo is useing...  Assuming it's all possible to
> break the evolution components apart...

Ugh, no, i'd say not.  Applet != application.  Perhaps it could trigger
a get mail, but well, it doesn't know if knew mail exists till it gets
it anyway, so this is moot.

You can't run mail without the shell either, its too tightly coupled
(yuck).
No need to get mail, mailcheck applets should  ONLY be used to check.  i.e. in the case of pop3, is there mail sitting on the server or not.  Same with other.

Regarding actions it needs to take:

1.  If clicked on it could:
    a.  tell running evolution to download mail
    b.  switch focus to evolution?
    c.  switch viewport (sawfish ish) to evolutions, not sure how hard this is but it would be cool

2.  If right-clicked it could offer options to check mail on different accounts, cancel animations / sounds, check all mail, etc.

3.  If mail shows up have the usual options.... animation, sound, mail count, etc.

Thoughts?

TTG