Re: [Evolution] dynamically setting smtp server?

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 12:31, Kenneth Porter wrote:
On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 17:18, Gil Hauer wrote:
Is there an easy way to dynamically change the smtp server information
for each account? I tend to move my laptop between work and home and
it's a bit of a pain editing the mail settings each time I want to send
mail. Is there an evironment variable or something?

Use DNS. Do you have a different domain name at home and at the office?
Try to get a cname in both domains that has the same name and points to
the smtp server. Eg. at home on my lan I have smtp.myhome.lan pointing
to my smtp gateway, and at the office I have smtp.myoffice.lan pointing
at the office mail server. I then configure my mail server to be just
"smtp", and the machine's domain (either myoffice.lan or myhome.lan)
will get suffixed to this before getting resolved to the right mail
server.

You can also just have a local name like "smtp" in your /etc/hosts file,
and you won't need your provider's assistance.  If you arrange that that
entry changes when you connect in different places, everything will work
transparently.  [Well, you may still have issues with authentication
being different in the two places.]

In order to get arbitrary config files changed when you log in at
different places, I use an excellent little program called
"intuitively".  It probes your network to see where you are, and based
on the results, configures whatever files you want.

   - Ian