Re: [Evolution] dynamically setting smtp server?

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 17:18, Gil Hauer wrote:
Is there an easy way to dynamically change the smtp server information
for each account? I tend to move my laptop between work and home and
it's a bit of a pain editing the mail settings each time I want to send
mail. Is there an evironment variable or something?

Use DNS. Do you have a different domain name at home and at the office?
Try to get a cname in both domains that has the same name and points to
the smtp server. Eg. at home on my lan I have smtp.myhome.lan pointing
to my smtp gateway, and at the office I have smtp.myoffice.lan pointing
at the office mail server. I then configure my mail server to be just
"smtp", and the machine's domain (either myoffice.lan or myhome.lan)
will get suffixed to this before getting resolved to the right mail
server.

My mail gateways are both sendmail, and will attempt to deliver directly
to the final destination and then fall back to the ISP's mail server
(The setting is confFALLBACK_MX in sendmail.mc.) You could run sendmail
on your client with this setup, so it bypasses the ISP mail server in
most cases and only uses the server if the final destination turns your
client away.