Re: [Evolution] Repatriating lost emails

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 13:32, Bradley Alexander wrote:
Hi,

Quick question. I emailed a few weeks back about being able to access
emails on my workstation from my laptop. I did get it set up, chose
IMAP, because in my limited experience, IMAP, by default, leaves the
messages on the server, where I could gather them later on the
workstation. This is, for the record, the Debian build of version 1.0.1
on Debian/sid (i386) boxes. The mailserver is running Debian/woody on a
Sparc with Postfix.

I had evo running on the laptop and it was gathering mail all right,
but I found out that messages were being deleted from the server. the
engine apparently was still running on the laptop after I killed it, and
it was still grabbing messages. I noticed I was not getting the volume
of mail I normally did. Since it was saturday night/sunday, I thought
this was normal, but when I posted to a mailing list and it never made
it (and I had a 250 message from the mailserver), I started
investigating further. I found there were directories on the laptop
called

$HOME/evolution/mail/imap/storm defiant
$HOME/evolution/mail/imap/storm vorcha

These are cache directories which are especially needed for disconnected
IMAP operation, but also used in normal IMAP operation to increase
performance.

In the storm vorcha directory, I saw files named

803.
803.HEADER

etc.

The .HEADER file is the mailheader, which is normally the only thing
that gets downloaded from the server. But the ###. file appears to be
the actual message.

Right.

My questions are thus:

1. How can I "repatriate" these messages back onto defiant? I was
thinking along the lines of "cat *. >> mail.out", copy mail.out back to
defiant, and possibly appending it to /var/spool/mail/storm. Would
something along these lines work?

I suppose... I think you'll also have to prepend a "From user host date"
line to the beginning of each message though (in order to make it mbox
format at least).

2. I notice that pop mail in evo has an option to leave the files on the
server. When I was setting up the piggyback from the laptop, I noticed
this, but thought that it was because IMAP was going to leave the files
intact on the server. What options do I have at this point? use POP and
leave the files on the server, or am I missing a crucial piece of the
puzzle?

POP has the "leave mail on server" option because POP is a spool
protocol which means you normally remove the message after you have
fetched it.

IMAP is not a spool protocol, thus there is no need for that option.
IMAP acts more like a normal local folder hierarchy in that mail stays
in the folders until the user deletes them.

I think you are confused (or maybe I am?). Evolution is not deletingany
messages off the server behind your back, if they are getting deleted
it's because you are hitting ^D or the delete toolbar button/menu item
and then expunging the folder (at some later point).

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.