[Evolution] Repatriating lost emails

Hi,

Quick question. I emailed a few weeks back about being able to access
emails on my workstation from my laptop. I did get it set up, chose
IMAP, because in my limited experience, IMAP, by default, leaves the
messages on the server, where I could gather them later on the
workstation. This is, for the record, the Debian build of version 1.0.1
on Debian/sid (i386) boxes. The mailserver is running Debian/woody on a
Sparc with Postfix.

I had evo running on the laptop and it was gathering mail all right,
but I found out that messages were being deleted from the server. the
engine apparently was still running on the laptop after I killed it, and
it was still grabbing messages. I noticed I was not getting the volume
of mail I normally did. Since it was saturday night/sunday, I thought
this was normal, but when I posted to a mailing list and it never made
it (and I had a 250 message from the mailserver), I started
investigating further. I found there were directories on the laptop
called

$HOME/evolution/mail/imap/storm defiant
$HOME/evolution/mail/imap/storm vorcha

In the storm vorcha directory, I saw files named

803.
803.HEADER

etc.

The .HEADER file is the mailheader, which is normally the only thing
that gets downloaded from the server. But the ###. file appears to be
the actual message.

My questions are thus:

1. How can I "repatriate" these messages back onto defiant? I was
thinking along the lines of "cat *. >> mail.out", copy mail.out back to
defiant, and possibly appending it to /var/spool/mail/storm. Would
something along these lines work?

2. I notice that pop mail in evo has an option to leave the files on the
server. When I was setting up the piggyback from the laptop, I noticed
this, but thought that it was because IMAP was going to leave the files
intact on the server. What options do I have at this point? use POP and
leave the files on the server, or am I missing a crucial piece of the
puzzle?

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander, CISSP         |   storm [at] debian.org
Debian Developer, Security Engineer |   storm [at] tux.org
Debian/GNU Linux Developer          |
MCO, 99th VFS 'Tuskegee Airmen'     | web:
server2048.virtialave.net/onyx23
Key fingerprints:
DSA 0x54434E65: 37F6 BCA6 621D 920C E02E  E3C8 73B2 C019 5443 4E65
RSA 0xC3BCBA91: 3F 0E 26 C1 90 14 AD 0A  C8 9C F0 93 75 A0 01 34
Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the
laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously
injure
yourself.  Today, people tend to take tools for granted.  If you're ever
walking down the street and you notice some people who look particularly
smug, the odds are that they are taking tools for granted.  If I were
you,
I'd walk right up and smack them in the face.
                -- Dave Barry, "The Taming of the Screw"