Re: [Evolution] Repatriating lost emails

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 13:32, Bradley Alexander wrote:

Quick question. I emailed a few weeks back about being able to access
emails on my workstation from my laptop. I did get it set up, chose
IMAP, because in my limited experience, IMAP, by default, leaves the
messages on the server, where I could gather them later on the
workstation.

IMAP *always* leaves the messages on the server.  It can't do anything
but that since it stands for Internet Message Access Protocol.

IMAP clients, upon connecting to an IMAP server and selecting a mailbox,
will copy all the headers for all the messages you have into a local
store.  It will only copy the contents of a message if you select a
message.  Presumably the contents of read messages are stored in
evolution for viewing offline, however that doesn't do anything to your
mailbox.  In fact, if your account is setup as IMAP even if evolution
constantly polled your inbox, it should not delete your mail.

While I can't say why your mail is deleted (nor why you couldn't send
mail), it should not be due to the use of IMAP by itself.

--
Brian