Re: [Evolution] Lost all contacts in contact database

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 12:38, Nick Jennings wrote:
Hello,

 This morning I logged in, started up X, then Evolution, to discover my
*entire* contact database (I just used the default 'Contacts' folder)
empty (except for the default Ximian, Inc. entry).

 After panicing, I remembered I had backup on my evolution directory, it
was only a day old so, although I lost some contacts & notes, I was able
to recover the majority. Although not without some trouble...

 First, I closed evolution, and tried to copy:

cp -rp <evobackups>/20020801/local/Contacts <home>/evolution/local

 When I started up evolution, nothing changed, I still only had the
Ximian, Inc. entry in the Contact folder... So I made a new contact
folder called 'Work Contacts' in the "Local Folders" section, exited
evolution, and:

cp -p <evobackups>/20020801/local/Contacts/*
<home>/evolution/local/Work\ Contacts/

 This worked, I have my contacts back, with a couple side-effects.

#1. When I compose a message, click 'To:' to select a contact, It
defaults to the 'Contacts' folder, so I have to switch everytime to
'Work Contacts'

#2. I can no longer use "nicknames" to quickly pull up an entry when
composing a message, probably due to #1

I may be wrong, but as I just mentioned in my last post, I believe you
need to completely shut down Evolution before changing that sort of
file.  That means closing Evolution and running "oaf-slay" from the
shell.  Then try restoring the Contact folder to the normal place and
then restarting Evolution.

Of course, you could probably select all contacts from your "Work
Contacts" folder and move them to "Contacts", but I don't know if Evo
would choke on such a potentially large operation.

hth
--E

--
This message was created in a Microsoft-free computing environment.