[Evolution] CVS GtkHTML + spell checking

Until not long ago, spell checking in Evolution worked fine.  It no
longer works.  When I go into gnomecc, to the "HTML Viewer & Editor"
settings, I see that "Enable spell checking" is checked.  However, if I
click on the "Configure spell checking" I get a box that says "Cannot
execute GNOME Spell control applet, Try to install GNOME Spell if you
don't have it installed".  In the terminal that I used to start gnomecc,
I see: "Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1".
I have gnome-spell installed (0.4.1), and it works for other gnome
apps.  Any ideas?

Setup:
all Mandrake cooker packages except for soup, gal, gtkhtml, and
evolution which are CVS HEAD.

Now that I think about it, I think it was after the gtkhtml became "1.1"
that the problem started.  Do I need to compile gnome-spell from CVS?  I
don't want to break my other apps.

Any pointers would be real helpful, especially if someone knows some
common causes for the "Gnome-Message" failure.

--
TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger