Re: [Evolution] Current pet-hates for evolution

Here is my list:

GENERAL
-------

        1. Focus. something seems unintuitive (at least for me) in
           regards to focus in Evolution. While I usually agree that not
           everything should be a la Microsoft and that not all dialogs
           should be modal, I think the focus should have a stack kind
           of memory. If I don't specifically click on a lower dialog,
           when the focus is brought back it should go the the highest
           dialog on the stack and if I close that window on the one
           before that. The one that dialog originated from
        2. While I love Evolution and will promote it at my customers'
           as a replacement to Mozilla mail and balsa as soon as 1.0 is
           out, I am afraid that some instability issues might persist
           (which is completly normal). The fact that there is no easy
           way other than killev to restore it to a stable state is far
           from being acceptable. As you can imagine this is not
           possible at our customers' as we don't give access to shell
           to our end-users as they will not know what to do with it
           anyway. So this is something that needs to be addressed
           before deployment. Note that I could make a shell that killev
           before running evolution but what about oaf-slay ?
        3. Have copy works from the message preview pane and other
           read-only dialog. (At least disable the menu option if you
           cannot copy). And have paste works in all fields (like the
           search criteria edit box). PS: Whatever is copied from the
           preview pane can be paste on an xterm but cannot be paste
           anywhere in Evolution. I just don't undertand why !
        4. When moving messages to a folder, have the list move to the
           selected folder (usually last used folder), so one can see
           where the e-mail will move if OK is pressed.
        5. Have a "move to folder" icon which show the last folder that
           an e-mail was moved to for fast organization.
        6. Multiple selection of messages. Wish I could use the control
           key to select non adjacent messages. Maybe there is a way but
           I don;t know it.
        7. View shortcut bar and folder list width size. On my system,
           when I want to view the shortcut bar (I mostly don't use it
           but I guess my end users might), the wdth of the bar is only
           a few pixel wide. I always need to resize it, before I can
           see it. As for the folder list, it is bigger but not quite.
           Anyway I wish it could remember my last setting.
        8. If there is only one folder under a header in the folder
           list, make the header the folder. For example, I have an IMAP
           folder for the Evolution mailing list. I am only subscribing
           to the Inbox of that folder. In the folder list it shows,
           Evolution then underneath INBOX. I wish it would just show
           one line named Evolution -> Inbox or something like that. As
           I have an IMAP folder for each mailbox I have it would save a
           lot of real estate and I would not need to scroll that much.
        9. When loading evolution, if there are messages that were saved
           automatically before the last crash, let us know right away.
           Right now I have to go to the compose window, in some way or
           another, to be reminded that I have some unfinished business.
           Most of the time, as right now for example (Evolution just
           froze on me), I go to my Draft box to see my message and open
           it. Then Evolution reminds me that some messages need to be
           restored. If I agree to their recovery Evolution brings 2
           windows (my draft and the restored copy) of the same message
           in 2 different state. I then have to remember or find which
           one is the most current and close the other one, before I get
           too confused which happens sadly fairly often :-)
       10. When downloading e-mail, sometimes the progress dialog box
           doesn't show the name of the mailbox being downloaded. Maybe
           because I am on a LAN and everything goes so fast. But it is
           strange to see progress bar without any heading. Note that
           the first time, you can the the headings. Also I would like
           Evolution to use my box names instead of the server name,
           same for the status bar when synchronizing IMAP as all my
           mailboxes reside on the the server.
       11. Problem with ssh when user from the client and host have the
           same logname. Very strange indeed. Evolution and nautilus are
           the only application with that problem. It has to do with X
           authentication. I don't have the error message right now but
           could provide it if asked.
       12. Be able to see if a message has been forwarded or replied to
           and to whom. Would be nice to see the response underneath the
           originating message.

COMPOSE
-------

        1. When replying to an e-mail, the default reply address should
           be the one defined for that folder (very important when you
           have a lot of e-mail addresses like me).
        2. Have spelling working in snapshots by default.
        3. Support for good reception and read message receipts of sent
           messages
        4. Set status flag, like important, for your review, please
           reply, confidential  etc ...

CALENDAR
--------

        1. work week and week view should be toggle buttons, so that
           when I click on the calendar, it will select the appropriate
           week instead of reverting to the day view. PS: I changed the
           setting in Calendar to show the week number and when clicking
           on it, it automatically take me to a week view and clicking
           on a day take me to a day view. Perfect.
        2. I would like to see a field about location of the event.
           People using Outlook use it a lot but we cannot see it. Maybe
           another tab should be called MISC and show all the fields
           Evolution doesn't support n iCal with their values, so you
           don't feel you are missing something.
        3. some explanation on how to get workgroup calendering working.
        4. When viewing an event display it in the timezone I have set
           as mine, not how it was set. For example, people using
           Outlook send me appointment and they come as UTC. In the
           Calendar view they display correctly but when I edit an
           appointment it is displayed as UTC which is very confusing.
           If I try to change it to my timezone, it doesn't change the
           time accordingly. Very, very confusing to me.

CONTACT
-------

        1. Add a View grouped by Category.
        2. Be able to save/edit/recall advanced search criterias as we
           can already do with mail messages.

LDAP
----

        1. When setting authentication for LDAP have an option to save
           the password and username for later use.
        2. Have a button or a menu item, where you can re-authenticate
           yourself with an LDAP server.
        3. Have a status that shows if you have read or read-write
           access to an LDAP database.
        4. Be able to have your default contact folder set for an LDAP
           database.
        5. Have LDAP execute a default query of your choice against the
           database upon selection. (Maybe in advance option)
        6. Have an option about the maximum number of contacts
           downloaded at a time with a value for all.
        7. Have a third tab in contact with a list of user defined
           fields and values mabe organized by objectclass
        8. support for SASL. Not sure it is already but the fact that
           there is no requirement for cyrus-sasl make me think it is
           not currently supported.

That all for today. I love Evolution and use it exclusively for all my
e-mail correspondance and Calendaring. It is a fine piece of software
that needs to become a little more stable. I hope that my comments will
not be discouraging to the developers and that they will continue their
great work.

Sincerely,

Pascal