From: "Mike Leone" <turgon mike-leone com>
<evolution ximian com>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Slow and where's documentation

I'm also curious as to why evolution takes a long time to start up.
About 10 secs for each component to highlight in the startup window, and
after that the different components take a similar amount of time to
open on first use. The New Messages window always takes a long time to
open. I never see any disk or CPU usage during the wait, so what is it
doing?

ORBIT problems, probably. I notice that, when Evolution gets that slow, if
do (as root):

(close Evo)
killev
oaf-slay
rm -rf /tmp/orbit-(my-user-name)

Then Evo speeds up TREMENDOUSLY. Both start up, and widow openings - new
message, reply, etc.
I know that if I *don't* periodically do this, Evo gets very slow.
Especially if I leave X, and then come back into X.