Re: [Evolution] Sent folder is now bold and displays message count

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 13:16, Eric Lambart wrote:
> Nope.  To begin with, I'm confounded as to why anyone would care how
> many a) Sent or b) Deleted messages he or she has.  But of course
> everyone is different, and if this is an intended behaviour, there is
> indeed a bug (b/c the counts don't appear until the folders are opened).
>
> What I am annoyed by is that these folder names are bolded once Evo
> realizes they have something in them.  Tradition--not only in Evo but in
> most GUI mailers I've known--says that bold implies UNREAD messages.
>
> Actually I must say I've always loved the fact that Evo generally did
> not bold the Trash box even when it DID contain unread messages--I often
> delete unread messages when I am sure they do not interest me, and don't
> want to be reminded that they exist by having a bold Trash folder.  Now
> it even stays bold when I do a Ctrl-A, Ctrl-K to ensure that they are
> all marked "read".  (Very amusing behaviour when I do a Ctrl-A,
> Ctrl-Shift-K in the Trash folder!).
>
> My point: I never want to see Trash or Sent folders bolded.  Put the
> counts after the names, no problem.  Please just don't make them jump
> out at me with bold text.
>
> Thanks as always for your work,
> --Eric
>
> On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 12:16, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > The idea here is to always show the number of deleted items. It's a bug
> > that it doesn't show up immediately I guess...is that what you are
> > complaining about?
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 22:14, Eric Lambart wrote:
> > > FWIW, to revive this old thread... the Trash box also goes bold and
> > > displays a count if you open it.  DEFINITELY annoying and IMHO
> > > pointless...
> > >
> > > (still using 10-05 snapshot; as usual I'm waiting until bugzilla reports
> > > the resolution of some bug I want fixed before downloading a new snap)

I haven't heard one person say they thought is was a good idea to
bold the folder names in the folder bar when the number of messages
in the folder are shown.  Everyone who has written about this issue,
AFAICR, has agreed that bolding the folder name means that the
number displayed indicates the number of new messages.  Bolding
the folder name when the total number of messages is displayed
violates the meaning the vast majority of users associate with this UI.

There has been at least two people who have requested that instead
of showing one number, be two numbers shown when unread messages
exist in a folder.  I envision it working like this:
Drafts (3)
Inbox (2048/32)
Sent (512)
Outbox (2)
And, yes, the it would make sense to me that these values get determined
and displayed when the Evolution launches (at least for local folders).
I suppose for IMAP folders, the user could have a Mail Settings option
that specifies whether or not to read this information at launch.  Regardless,
when Send & Receive is run, it would make sense to determine the message
counts and display them, would it not?
Miles